Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    Interesting!

    I recognized the components and divided cell horn as Jensen, but on the horn driver there is a word stamped in the label there that ends with .......phonic.

    Does it actually say "orthophonic"?
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    Hey bowtie, I owe you an apology! I grabbed an old service handbook, like an ERPI "bible" but published later by Altec Service Corporation. As soon as I got into the Motiograph section I found some literature for the "Motiograph Model 'MK' Mirrophonic Sound Reproducer" projector sound head. There is no date on this particular page but surrounding service bulletins are dated from 1945 to 1954. So evidently Motiograph did use the Mirrophonic trade name, at least in the postwar era.

    Looking closely at that picture of the driver, it does appear to say "Mirrophonic." As Mark Twain said, and expert is "...just some guy from out of town." Sorry, man.

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    No apologies necessary sir, just sharing my own observations. It's folks like yourself and some of the others on this board who have taught me to look for the most subtle details as those are often the most significant.:thankU:

    From the ebay pics it's impossible for me to be sure, only that it ends in "phonic".
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    MOTIOGRAPH was a cinema supply/service company in Chicago

    That massive 7 x 4 multicell horn seems to be without WE precedent (maybe Dukane ? also Chicago).

    I've seen a MOTIOGRAPH catalog (1940's) where they did actually supply true turnkey MIRROPHONIC systems (calling them Diphonic) using 594A drivers which they described as "justly famous" & dual W.E.1086 pre-war Amps--and strangely this was for sale for $30k (big price in today's dollars). Must have been post-antitrust as WE used to state that equip "remained the property of ERPI".

  5. #25
    Inactive Member slowmotion's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    Hi all

    I think that stuff is probably Mirrophonic in name only.
    Nothing there even remotely connected to Bell Labs or WE.

    Also IMHO the WE Mirrophonic has nothing more in common with the Shearer systems
    other than it being a two-way system with a multicell horn on top.
    While the Shearer used a folded horn for the bottom,
    the WE Diphonic used a kind of straight horn/open baffle.

    In fact I haven't been able to figure out why the baffle in the Diphonic is like it is.
    Any theories on that would be welcome.

    Cheers

    Jan
    Jan

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post

    ..Also IMHO the WE Mirrophonic has nothing more in common with the Shearer systems
    other than it being a two-way system... I haven't been able to figure out why the baffle in the Diphonic is like it is.
    Any theories..
    Jan
    They actually did use those Shearer type "W" bins (usually two units stacked)

    As to why they did it ? My theory would be its folded nature made for compact
    depth (a consideration given limited stage space in smaller theaters converted to sound)

  7. #27
    Inactive Member slowmotion's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    Quote Originally Posted by Horn Savant View Post
    They actually did use those Shearer type "W" bins (usually two units stacked)

    As to why they did it ? My theory would be its folded nature made for compact
    depth (a consideration given limited stage space in smaller theaters converted to sound)
    Well, no, they didn't.
    The Diphonic bass unit might look like a Shearer bin from the front,
    but in reality it's completely different. It's a straight "horn"/baffle.

    http://www.moviemice.com/we/speakerB...iagram-224.gif

    cheers
    Jan

  8. #28
    Inactive Member Horn Savant's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2008
    Posts
    111
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Well, no, they didn't.
    The Diphonic bass unit might look like a Shearer bin from the front,
    but in reality it's completely different. It's a straight "horn"/baffle.

    http://www.moviemice.com/we/speakerB...iagram-224.gif

    cheers
    I think I see what you're saying now: the Shearer was a re-entrant design ?
    Wheras the WE has continual unidirectional expansion.
    I don't know what a Shearer was like internally (would need to see blueprint like that for WE).
    I think early RCA had a re-entrant Shearer-style ?

  9. #29
    Inactive Member slowmotion's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    We can read about the Shearer system here:

    http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/...er_Theater.pdf

    And the RCA bin here :

    http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/imag...ers%201937.pdf


    As far as I am able to figure out the Shearer bass bin and the RCA bin is the same.
    But I'm not sure about that. Maybe Steve can enlighten us?

    But the Mirrophonic was very different.


    cheers
    Jan

  10. #30
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pristine Mirrorphonic system

    The pictures of the old Altec 802 and 288 HF drivers are interesting.

    I have recently restored some 802s w/ GPA frams and these "old" drivers out-perform lots of other stuff I am comparing them against using a "A Vs. B" tests including 902s, 806s, 806s with jbl slot tweeters, etc.

    I worked in S. Korea as a CPA for a few years in the 2002-2006 time frame. ...strange place... ...not my favorite either....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.